Friday, December 4, 2009

Chick flicks

(I am at a friend's apartment with five other girls. I am forced to watch While You Were Sleeping. Total chick flick. Have I expressed my opinions on chick flicks? 98% of them should be burned. Banned. At the very least, not elaborated upon in my presence. Don't ask me why I think most chick flicks are unrealistic, yet I will happily watch LOTR or Star Trek. It's that LOTR and Star Trek never pretend to be realistic or in this world. They are admittedly IN different worlds. Maybe chick flicks are too, but arghughblah).

Friend 1: we should watch another movie.

Friends 2-5 + me: Sure! (Me: *recalling friend 1 talking about watching Eagle Eye after WYWS, and thinking 'thank you, Jesus, an action movie to purge my system of the unrealism!*)

(about an hour later)

Friend 2: we should watch another movie!

Friends 1-5 + me: Awesome! Put one in! (We are all brain-dead, haven't you guessed? It's finals week.)

Friend 1: *starts digging through massive collection of movies* Let me get out The Holiday.

Me: *swears under breath*
*okay, not literally*

Friend 1: *still digging* "Aw, rats, did I take that home?"

Me: *looking studiously at facebook and praying she took it home*

Friend 1: "Well, I guess I"ll put in Eagle Eye."

Me: *cheers!cheers!cheers!* *all silently*

Friend 1: "Oh, look! Here The Holiday is! I don't know how I missed it!"

Me: *SWEARS*
*again, not really*
*searches in Google*
*loads Underworld in second window of Firefox*
*thanks the Lord for movies with guns, action, and unrealism that knows it is unrealism and does not masquerade as realism*
*types blog post ranting against chick flicks while Underworld loads*

6 comments:

anilee said...

"rearmint"?! (That's the word verification thing.)

Anyway...I do enjoy a chick flick now and then. They are generally silly, but for mindless entertainment? (My favourite is Music and Lyrics, and if it helps, my dad and brothers actually enjoy it as well.) But yes, I am definitely more into films (and even books now) where the main focus is NOT a romance.

Erin said...

hahahaha you rock.

I'd be curious what you think of "(500) Days of Summer"--it's advertised as "not a love story, but a story about love." It's really good. Let me know if you see it. SO not a cliche Hollywood romcom. WAY BETTER.

Q said...

My goodness! I like chick flicks! What is this??

Edge said...

Madison - there are a couple that I like. But only a couple...I'm cool with romance as part of the plot, but focused solely...eh. Haha =P

Erin - thanks, I try ;)I've heard of but have not seen the movie *christmas break!*

Q - ....well, I love action movies. And you like chick-flicks. So we could account this to a minor opposite in our twin DNA...

Polka Dotted Pickles said...

Bwa ha ha!!! This made me laugh! :D

Q said...

No, I like action movies, too. The first three X-Men were awesome. And if you haven't seen Minority Report, you should.