Thursday, November 19, 2009

reading into short stories

I think it's hysterical. For instance, my short(ish) story came up in my creative writing class today. I read the whole thing out loud (thirteen cursed pages), and then had to sit in silence while the class and teacher critiqued it. Some of my thoughts:

The corset as symbolism of that society I wrote about being rigid and restricting? I mean, it sounds gloriously deep and thoughtful. I'm glad people think I'm that deep, because I totally didn't mean that as symbolism.

Red as the color of passion and fire...um, no, actually, I just made the paint in the story red because I really like red.

There's a lot of romantic heat between David and Aphrodite...um, okay? If you say so? Totally not how I intended it, but whatever...

No, I didn't think about 'David' being a highly appropriate name for an artist. At least, not consciously.

The conclusion I have come to: my subconscious is brilliant.

4 comments:

Cassandra said...

I love when this happens! Epic win.

Erin said...

Nice, haha. Love it.

Q said...

Of course your subconscious is brilliant. Your conscious is pretty brilliant too, if you must know.

Lady Brainsample said...

Ditto Q. Total awesomeness!