Wednesday, April 28, 2010

it's a bittersweet symphony (this life)

or carousel at the carnival, horseback, eating

sticky pink fluff, sweet and insubstantial
all beautiful in the sunset
(but don't let the clowns catch you after dark)

and the sights and sounds of a month can swirl together
flavors of vanilla and chocolate and licorice (which i don't much like, the bitter smack of disappointment)
and how do you separate them all but by savouring the lingering flavour and distinguishing?

the swoop of dancing, a belled skirt twirling around my legs in a brush of silk
coy smile over my shoulder breaking into a laugh
(i can't be sexy to save my life)
the sensuous ridge of collarbone under my hand
crisp Dove-soap cotton against my cheek
and i lean there in the slow song, lingering in the warmth
and connection and rhythm

the little things, the birds chirping in the last crisp morning before the heat
sway of bluebonnets in wind, spoon slipping into creamy flesh of yogurt
dog grinning half-cocked, tongue out
the dreamy gleam in certain eyes when fiancees come to mind
the warm weight of a child asleep in my lap, silk hair falling over my arm,
rocking her and myself to sleep in a classroom nursery

the bitter chocolate emptiness of crying out until the makeup raccoons me
the heartache of decisions and wondering why i'm never quite good enough for you
and wondering, knowing you love me but not feeling it
frustration of people not listening or trying to understand

the flavours of life, the taste of change, the sound of heartbreak, the sight of sunset
mingle, tangle, struggle
white-robed glory and cloud-clothed pain kiss

and beneath it all the broken, steady heartbeat of love

8 comments:

Holly said...

so very vivid.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I want to steal your brain and writing skills. That was incredible. I really connected with it. What a gift.

Q said...

Your adjectives make me envious.

The Snarky Narwhal said...

Lovely words...

Erin said...

This is my favorite of all your writings I've ever read, I do believe. Wow. Really, really excellent. The way you describe things in this--!!

Anonymous said...

:) I like your use of words. :)

Edge said...

Hols - thanks! :)
aipingplum - thanks - I'm glad it was connectable. I never quite know with poetry sometimes :P
Q - gracias! :)
pinkapplecore - now I just wish I had some delicious pictures to go with it...
Miss E - awwww, thanks! That means a lot :D I think this is my favorite of my poems, because so many of them have been darkish emo creatures. This one is...I don't know if 'happy' is the right word, but it's richer.

Julia said...

this is so descriptive and bright with your writing