Monday, July 7, 2008

I survived!

Ughhh. That was the longest road trip of my life. I am now a road trip warrior. I've now driven in multiple states, like Alabama and Tennessee and a blip of Georgia and Pennsylvania. A painful, painful rain-hammering-down ten-mile-an-hour stint in Pennsylvania. And then we drove back, with better weather, thankfully.

Running camp was a mix of fun, pain, irritation, and fun. Some of the workouts pushed me farther than I cared to be pushed, but I guess it will make me resilient. Every night we played Ultimate Frisbee in teams, hence the irritation. My team was third place last year. It was seventh of eight this year. We had one guy on our team who was...I say this kindly, not in awful shape, but he had no endurance. Furthering my annoyance, he didn't work hard and didn't cover his guy.

I'm not the best thrower, so out of reflex I defend well. There's a rule you do not break around me: COVER YOUR MAN. And then in the last game, one of our girls made a beautiful save for a goal. We were tied with the number two team, and it's now overtime, sudden death. Looking particularly at this guy, I say "Alright, let's cover them tight." Forty seconds later the other team scores, and the dude my teammate was supposed to guard was on the opposite side of the field. He scored because my teammate slacked off.

Okay, rant over. Mostly. My sister put it the best way: "I get angry about things quickly and get over them quickly. It takes you a longer time to get angry, but it also takes you longer to get over it." Wisdom from the mouths of babes. Okay, she's not that young *winces at punch*. Come on, sis! It's figurative.

Here is a fun exercise. I may tag some people to do it. The rules: List three song titles, and your immediate thoughts. Then tag three people. I.E.:

No Air, Jordin Sparks. 1. What my sister keeps singing over and over and over to drive me insane. 2. The precise amount of oxygen my sister will be inhaling if she doesn't cut it out.

Train, 3 Doors Down. 1. What I wished I was on while driving down the interminable Route 59. 2. What I was going to throw my sister in front of if she didn't quit singing Bleeding Love.

Bleeding Love, Leona Lewis. 1. Another thing my sister kept singing, in soprano. 2. Sounds morbid, like the previous number 2s.

I like it. I tag...you, and you, and Miss Erin, and Anilee, and Gretch-a-Sketch.

5 comments:

Q said...

I'm proud of you. You didn't die OR tear that guy's arms off. *applause*

Judi said...

Or strangle your sister.
-Judi

Paris said...

Your title reminds me of that song-

"I Will Survive!"

Judi said...

I love that song....It's great.
-Judi

Paris said...

Hey, Edge! Have you read any of Wayne Thomas Batson’s books: The Door Within, The Rise of the Wrym Lord, The Final Storm, Isle of Swords, and the soon to be released Isle of Fire? If you haven’t, you don’t know what you’re missing! Check out Mr. Wayne’s blog: http://enterthedoorwithin.blogspot.com/

I’m doing this “review” for a Treasure Hunt Mr. Wayne is having. Come join us! If I was the first person to inform you about the contest, please mention that when you sign up. Thanks!