Saturday, January 30, 2010

He keeps talking. Just talking. Words pouring out of his mouth, and I've heard half of them before. I want to blank it all out, just nod vaguely, but my mind has a perverse need to listen sharply, to catch every word. He thinks he's being helpful. You keep repeating yourself! I want to say. Over and over. Same words. Same thoughts. He wonders why I seem so unstable in decisions, so contradictory, but when he poses question after question after question, I begin to question everything myself. I interlace my fingers and hold them over my mouth, biting into the knuckle of my thumb, increasing the pressure until I can't take it, and then I re-lace my fingers and latch onto the other thumb.

Finally, he quits speaking, distracted. I take my moment and slip away into the dark. When I'm safe, for now, I stare at the rough oval of red marks around my knuckles. It is this pain or avoiding the anger following my outburst. For now, I have chosen this.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I bite my fingers too.

Erin said...

"my mind has a perverse need to listen sharply, to catch every word"
this happens to me all the time
like the cliche of the train wreck where you can't look away no matter how much you wan to