Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Actor and the Housewife, thoughts.

I've fallen in love with The Actor and the Housewife again. (This is by Shannon Hale, and if you have not read it, for the love of every good book, go find a copy and read it. Now.) Few books have ever brought me to tears (Harry Potter the sixth did, twice), and this is one. It resonates with me, because a huge theme is love between a man and woman as best friends, without romance. I wish there was more love like that in the world. It seems we must either be very casual friends or in love, and that's stupid. Your thoughts?

5 comments:

Priya said...

I've seen so many rave reviews for this, I should probably read it. :)

The Snarky Narwhal said...

i think men and women can be really close friends albeit i've never had a guy friend that close. I have guy friends but like you said it's casual.

anilee said...

Don't shoot me, but I thought that this book was contrived. I mean, parts of it were funny and it wasn't terrible, but it was definitely not my cup of tea.

I've been meaning to write a blog post on romance in books. I think that men and women can be really close friends, but I think that a lot of people think that fiction should express dreams, not reality, and how many women dream of close friendships with guys?

Anonymous said...

Agreed! Now I want to read this book.

Edge said...

Priya - oh, YES, read and re-read :)

PAC - I haven't either. I think I'd rather just have someone old enough to be an older brother, honestly. THat would take care of any potential awkwardness...

Anilee - psh, if I were to start shooting people with strong opinions differing from mine, I'd probably have to shoot myself at some point, so... :P

Aipingplum - absolutely. :D