Monday, April 28, 2008

Thoughts on Writing, Authors, and Publishing

I read TIME Magazine at lunch - specifically, the article on Stephenie Meyer. Now I am reminding myself of Shannon Hale's advice (found on her website): don't envy other writers. I don't know that I envy her, necessarily. It has become one of my goals as a writer to someday be interviewed by Time. The writing, ninety-five percent of the time, is crisp, displays a sterling vocabulary, and dependent on author, a fair hint of snarkiness.



One of the things in the article I found interesting was the comparison between the Twilight series and the Harry Potter series - or rather, the writers' styles. J.K. Rowling 'pieces her story together detail by detail' (not the exact quote), while Stephenie Meyers lets hers gush out. She wrote Twilight in three months. I suppose that means there's hope for me - I wrote my second novel of three-hundred pages in five weeks, she wrote a five-hundred page book in three months. Hers started with a dream; so did mine. Except I waited a month to start writing it because I wasn't sure if the concept was too strange.



Speaking of books: Percy Jackson 4 comes out in a week!! Yes, the reading level isn't abnormally high, but these books are pure fun. Rick Riordan spins myths into modern-day legend in a way that can only be labeled genius. If you haven't read any of these books, get thee to a library. I wish I could be in Austin for the opening day (I know this is the wrong term but bear with me). My fam will be in Austin two weekends in a row. However, they are the two weekends after the release. *sigh*



Agents: my next topic. I've been investigating a host of agents, cruising their websites, checking out their clientele. Some of these author lists are downright intimidating. I mean, how'd you like to say, "Oh, yeah, my agent is also Stephenie Meyer's (Shannon Hale's, you pick the name) agent"? A little scary, but why not shoot high? I'm not getting my hopes too high, though. I don't doubt that I can be published someday, but I don't want to over-excite myself.



Related to agents: the query letter. For my first novel I wrote a long query (two pages) and a long synopsis (read: five pages of torture). Thankfully or not, most agencies want one-page query letters, and some want the first two (five, ten) pages of the manuscript. That is good, because I can't make myself grind out another five-page synopsis. I'm not superb at summarizing, and when I read my synopses, I don't know if I"d buy my book. Hooray for one-page query letters! I never thought I'd say that either.



Your thoughts on Stephenie Meyer/Rick Riordan/publishing? Besides to lambaste me for never actually reading any of the Twilight series? *cringes in expectation of reprisal*

8 comments:

Q said...

I think you should publish and not compare yourself to other writers. Just make sure that your ms is as good as you and everyone you love and trust can make it.

And you should post your cherry blossom pictures.

Erin said...

For those who want to read the Stephenie Meyer article online, it's here: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1734838,00.html

Yeah, writer-envy is easy to get. For me, though, I get actor-envy a lot more often. I have to pray a lot not to be discontent. :)

Edge said...

Miss E: Thanks for posting the link!

Q: I'll try to get those cherry blossom pics up within the next few days. And maybe post my query letter. *gulps*

Jamin said...

If you're checking out agent's websites, I HIGHLY (yes, I dared to use an adjective) recomend this agent's blog.

http://chipmacgregor.com/

He answers questions writers send to him and gives info on things happening in the writing industry.

Sookie said...

Oooh...yes, shoot high. I SO WANT TO READ THIS NOVEL! I can't believe you wrote it in a matter of weeks!

Somnite said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Somnite said...

I can't believe it, I just started the Percy Jackson books last week and love them, even if they are a little bit juvenile. YAY for book 4!

Amazing! I have started 2 novels that I have spent months on and gave up after like 25 pages. I am trying again, and don't think I'll try major editing. I think it's astounding that you can write one in 3 weeks!

I HAVEN"T READ TWILIGHT!!!!

And I just realized that you're edge and that we've met on Anilee's blog... *sighs* my stupid moment turned into a stupid day which turned into a stupid week. (that's why I deleted that other comment)

Judi said...

I've been reading Rick Riordan's books since his first one came out... I agree that they are a bit juvenile, but I love them..don't ask me why...i'm into fantasy. :D