Saturday, April 19, 2008

YESSS!!!

Sorry for the serpentine sound of the title. You might have guessed, I'm juiced. Why?

On March 12 I began a novel. My second one, in fact. Today, April 17, five weeks later, I finished it. Do you know that feeling when you finish something monuentous like that? The adrenaline buzzing in your veins? The desire to squeal, screech, or scream in happiness? (Wow, I'm on a roll with my S alliterations :-)

I'm also sad though. I LOVE these characters. They're just so real. Almost as if I didn't create them. Sometimes I think stories are more than they seem - that is to say, they're real in a way. Living. Occasionally, howling in my mind when I write it wrong. Is that just an instant of my weirdness, or is this a phenomenon all fiction writers experience?

Anyway, I can't believe I only have two weeks of school left from this Monday, and that the next time I'm in a college classroom, it'll be full-time, and I'll be living on campus. Wow. Deep breath. It's like standing on the edge of a forty-foot cliff, looking down at the water, readying myself to grab the rope swing and fly out. Except the effects will last a lifetime. (Come to think of it, if I landed wrong and broke my neck, that would last a lifetime too. But when I did this in real life, I didn't break my neck).

Oh yes, and Thursday night my university is hosting a dinner for the Honors College students. So I get to meet a lot of other HC students. It's exciting - we'll be the first class of Honors College graduates. Although, I have to say it'll be a little weird, being around a bunch of people who are roughly my age. It's never happened before, except at my sister's high school where I tutor...and that's another post.

6 comments:

Q said...

Oh, my gosh. I am so jealous. I really shouldn't be, because I should be writing instead of being jealous, but I really am. Gah.

Good for you though! That is so cool! Start contacting agents.

Jamin said...

That's awesome about your book. I take too long developing things in my head when I really just need to get it written.

Sookie said...

Oh! I know the feeling!
Sometimes I feel like the characters I write are real, only they're chillaxing in my head, giving me a tough time about this plot twist or that. Right now I'm writing a novel--and I really want to finish it. Will I? Who knows...

Erin said...

Wow, that's so so great. *is happy for you*

Deb said...

I'm sooooo happy for you!! :-) I'm gonna link to you on my blog. Is that cool with you?

Debbie

Deb said...

Link is up and operational! :)

Debbie