Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Lots to do...

So I'll post a short story. Let me know what you think - this is about a year old, but I don't think it's so old as to embarass me. The assignment was to write a story of less than 500 words that ended with "As he climbed out of the belly of the whale, and onto the shore, he raised his hands in victory."


Arlin’s forehead creased as he breathed in a smell fishy enough to knock him backwards. He glanced at the massive eye studying him from the water. Leave it to that bungler Arthur to lose Excalibur in the ocean.

The great eye blinked, and Karina spoke in a surprisingly breathy voice. “Knight Arlin, does something concern you?”

Arlin bowed. “No, Lady Karina. And I am not a knight yet.”

The waters churned with frothy gray tops as Karina belly-wriggled onto shore. “I can go no further, Knight Arlin. Please, come in.”

Figures. He got respect from kingly whales and none from comparatively scrawny humans. King Arthur ought to take note. Arlin swallowed and walked forward into Karina’s mouth, which gaped like a cave of unparalleled size. The smell grew as he stepped onto her tongue, slime coating his boots.

He had received word from a sea faerie yesterday that the whale princess Karina had a sharp object lodged in the back of her mouth. Fish, wary creatures, would not venture near enough to pluck it out, though Karina promised safe passage.

Arlin had felt his gut sink. “But…but what am I to do?”

The faerie narrowed her sea-green eyes. “Silly man, go in and remove it! Surely you realize it is Arthur’s sword.”

“I am merely a steward, not even a knight! Why should I be gi…uh, honored with this disgusti- I mean, noble task?”

“So, Arlin, that you may yet be knighted.” The faerie blew on her seashell and disappeared, a briny smell lingering.

Arlin trusted himself to speak once halfway across the whale’s tongue. “I trust this does not hurt you, Lady Karina?”

He realized his mistake when her tongue lifted in speech, hurling him face-forward. Arlin thrust his hands out to little avail. His face smacked into Karina’s tongue, along with the rest of his body. “I apologize, lady, but I’m-” Another motion of her tongue sent him somersaulting. “Please cease speaking!”

The tongue stilled. Arlin, imagining the smell of fish creeping into his pores, grimaced and ran. Light glinted from Excalibur’s hilt, a few feet away. Arlin swallowed. He should feel a sense of awe pervading his very bones. But this smell was choking him. Arlin curled his fingers around the sword and tugged it free.

Karina gave a deep sigh. “Ahhh.”

Afraid she was going to speak, Arlin held the sword point-forward and sprinted towards the light. The smell slackened with a fresh breeze.

The faerie appeared inches in front of Arlin and nearly got run through for her troubles. She squealed and backpedaled. “You great bungler-”

Arlin smirked, sliding between Karina’s teeth. “Now, now, faerie, just because you’re inattentive.”

She blinked, regaining her composure. “I congratulate you. You have succeeded, and will be knighted by Arthur himself with Excalibur.”

Arlin smiled. As he climbed out of the belly of the whale, and onto the shore, he raised his hands in victory.

And for the second time, nearly speared the faerie.

5 comments:

Q said...

Haha. Poor guy. Knighted with a fishy sword. Well-executed, though the style could have been a tad bit more consistent. ALl in all, though, witty and good.

Paris said...

Wow. I like it. I would have ended up doing something with Jonah in it.

Judi said...

Dude, first of all, how was Oregon?? You haven't updated in forever.

Second of all...I really liked the story..I just hate fish...especially the smell..If I had been that poor guy...I don't think I would've ended up knighted.
-Judi

Holly said...

Heh heh. That's a fun story.

~Just*Flinn~ said...

lol! I love it!