Monday, June 23, 2008

My goodness...

I'm so busy. We got home from Oregon a week ago, and are leaving Wednesday for Pennsylvania. I'm not sure what to write, in the fear of sounding scatterbrained. So.

Oregon. The weather stayed between forty and seventy degrees. Absolute heaven compared to ninety degrees and 80 percent humidity. The track meet we saw lasted three hours, a good time. It's amazing to see so many world-class athletes in one place. I"d prattle about this if it were something better known like Twilight, and everyone knew what I was talking about.

Speaking of. I heavily skimmed Twilight and am not overly impressed. I did, however, pick up The Host at Barnes and Nobles. I was skeptical. I only bought it because it was 40% off with a member's card. My skepticism vanished about twenty pages in. It's an amazing book. Granted, I know a lot of bloggers (teenage girls) would rather read the Twilight saga, due to the romance and perfection (or not) of Edward, etc. I think The Host is amazing. It's almost the cleanest adult book I've read, but still steamy in some parts and full of action. I thought 600 pages was overkill. There were a few parts I bemoaned an editor's foolishness, but only a few. (Lines such as "He threatened gruffly." The dialogue gets the point across, but minor detail).

So if you haven't read it, for crying out loud, get it! It's the least sci-fi book out there that's classified as sci-fi. It makes me happy.

I haven't written much on book 3 - too concerned with unpacking, ditching the suitcase in the hallway, and five days later hauling it back into my room. The ideas are rolling, though. It has to do with bikers, as in motorcycles built for speed, and a girl trying to find herself, and her messed-up family. I like it, unlike a certain section of the other might-be book 3, in which I want to strangle either myself or the characters for not talking right. The dialogue's giving me a little trouble. Maybe I should go for a short story.

Ugh. I am crazy. I never write short stories. Ah well! Off to pack a pair of not-yet-smelly running shoes.

6 comments:

Gretchen Alice said...

I really need to pick up the Host. I'm not the biggest Twilight fan, but I'll be darned if I don't have a great time reading them.

Q said...

I discovered recently that I LOVE short stories. You get in and get out, and still give a message. Yay.

Judi said...

I've never even heard of this 'Twilight' you guys are talking about...what is it??
-Judi

Jamin said...

I tried writing a short story from a girl's point of view a little while ago. Didn't work. I think that's the first time one of my stories fell flat on its face.

Glad you liked Oregon. They have some of the nicest places to run I've seen.

Book 3! How do you write so fast?

Holly said...

I keep hearing that about The Host (that it's much better than the Twilight books), so I DID, amazingly, put it on hold at the library. Only 129 readers left now between me and it!

Erin said...

I tagged you on my blog... :)