Monday, September 29, 2008

Dinner Party!

Over the last week or two, I've wanted to cook a lot of food, for a lot of people. Not my usual craving. So yesterday, I decided to just do it. I sent an elegant invitation via text message, bought some high quality SOLO plates, and some fine paper napkins. The final head count, I think, was somewhere around fourteen people. That's a lot in a dorm room, but between provided furniture in the little living room and computer chairs, we got everyone seated.

The other amazing thing: I had all four burners on the stove going, plus the oven, and managed to have everything ready at about the same time, and all cooked right. That's a new thing for me. Usually I'm cranking the temp up on one pot and down on another to make them finish at the same time. Granted, I did spaghetti, pasta sauce, and Mac-and-Cheese. Not the most complicated food, and the cookies were a box mix (gluten-free, which I don't think anyone realized).

This get-together also forced me to clean. My room was never a total train wreck (except one day), and the common area/kitchen wasn't bad, but they're both vacuumed and spotless. Okay, the kitchen was spotless until last night, and now all the pans are sulking in the sink. I'm not excited about that part. Maybe I can enlist some help...

Next time I"ll have to take pictures. For yes, there shall be a next time. This is kind of fun.

12 comments:

Paris said...

Spaghetti's good!

Holly said...

A dorm room dinner party! I love this idea!

Q said...

I can NEVER cook things and make them all turn out at the same time. I commend you for your bravery in even ATTEMPTING this. *applause*

Traci said...

coolness!

Judi said...

Awesome! I didn't know you could cook. I think you deserve a medal or something
-Judi

Ian said...

University sounds like fun :)
....the dorm room stuff, anyway.

MMMM....mac and cheese...:D

:)Ian(:

Edge said...

Paris: It was!

Cuileann: My mom's big on hospitality. I guess she rubbed off more than I thought :-)

Q: I'm not getting my hopes up that it'll happen again. But it was fun. I managed not to get spaghetti sauce on my clothes, which I think has happened only twice before.

Traci: It was definitely fun.

Judi: I'm not a super-great cook, but I have most of the basics covered. A medal would be nice, but so would chocolate :p

Ian: It is most of the time. Just make sure you have good suitemates/roommates...difficult with the potluck system, but God blessed me. And yes, MMM mac and cheese :)

Somnite said...

Fun! The most we have ever done is had a Ramen party. 8 of us guys in one room and 6 different flavors of Ramen.

The_Ballerina said...

haha I can't wait until college!!! Sounds likea blast!

Judi said...

Chocolate it is!!!
-Judi

Jamin said...

Kinda sounds like a normal day at my house during Christmas! Imagine a lot of kids (people coming home, too) and then grandparents. It seems like we hit overload more than a few times.

Paris said...

Tagged you on my blog!