Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Insomniac?

Maybe not. The thing is, I'm tired, but I don't want to sleep. I do, in a way...am I just rambling here? Something in me doesn't want to surrender the day yet. *siiighs*. It's been a long week. Highs. Naps. Lows. Naps. Laundry. Study. The Iliad. A Presocratic reader.

Right, the Iliad. It's the next assignment for one of my classes. I wasn't sure what to expect - I've read Rick Riordan's modern-day take on the Greek gods/goddesses, so I do have a background, in a way :-) (If you haven't read the Percy Jackson books, get to a library. Or a bookstore. They aren't super-high reading level, but they are so fun.) The Iliad is interesting in that it's Greek poetry translated into English. It has a completely different feel to it; alien, almost, but beautiful. In sometimes a violent sort of way.

I am so sore. It hasn't been an easy week on the cross-country team. At least tomorrow is an easy run, but it's followed by weight lifting, which does something to nix the 'easy' part. Ugh. That's another 6 am wakeup. How about 9? or 10? What a lovely thought. As it is, I'll be squeezing in a 45 min nap between Spanish IV and Shakespeare (grooooan! Julius Caesar is a favorite play, but we're covering a play a week...) If I skip lunch, I could make it a bit over an hour nap, but food is just one of those things runners do poorly without. *passes out, nailing forehead against Norton's Shakespeare Anthology*

Hmm...tempting, except the book's already a headache.

My eyelids keep sinking, and I'm typing this sentence blind. Not too hard, actually. In a strange way, I can picture the screen and the words dancing across the page as I type them into existence.

Wow. I am tired. As I drifted toward sleep last night, I started playing with a vague concept I've had for a while, about music and instruments and the rainbow. If I get the time, and the sleep, there will be a forthcoming story. Maybe not even a short - probably a wee bit longer.

Buenas noches!

9 comments:

Q said...

Good luck! Try to get some sleep occasionally.

Grace K. said...

EDGE!!!! Lol...I just posted a reeeeaally long comment on your second last post about Araon reading your blog. I'm back and safe. Which means two things: One, your prayers worked. Thank you! All our town got was wind and rain. Our house was competely fine.

Two, and this one's suckish: We're past (and not in) Houston. We spent the night last night, but my dad wanted to leave super early.

And now I must skip off to update my blog, so you can read of my hurricane adventures. See comments on-second-to-last-post for more. ;)

Haha, sorry you're so tired and sore. Hope things feel better when you wake up. Best of luck, Maddee! :)

~Grace

Grace K. said...

HA! I just read your comment on MismatchedSockGirl's post Hurricane Update... I feel so loved. :) I know all of y'all's prayers worked. Thanks again!

Would you believe I also had a forum behind me, praying for my family and I also? :D I'm so blessed to have met so many of you amazing people here on Blogger and Wordpress.

Jamin said...

Have fun! Staying up late usually isn't too hard for me. I've been sensitive to dyes and sugar since I was born. People used to think I was weird for being so energetic, but it paid off in the long run!

The Iliad is one of my favorite books! It really makes you brush up on Greek mythology.

How long does your team's runs usually last?

Edge said...

Q: Thanks! I did sleep well last night...now I'm off to nap :p

Raewyn: So glad you're home safe and your home is fine! I'm sure you'll make it to Houston again someday, and before I nap I'm going to read your reaaally long comment :-)

Jamin: I have no such sensitivity, but I do have trouble staying up late *sighs*. The length of the run depends on the day - could be anywhere from five to ten miles.

Judi said...

This explains you stalking me on Facebook. :D
One time, I was trying to sleep, and my sister kept singing some dumb song about an insomniac...
I was less than impressed.
I hope you get some sleep.
-Judi

Somnite said...

Hey, I know this isn't really the place for this post, but I really needed to tell people, and it had to be where none of my family can find out yet.

LOL I'm trying out for the cheer team. We had the first practice tonight where beginners could learn enough to try out. I'm really only doing it for the rather large scholarship that team members get.

So the first night was tonight and we were already tossing people up in the air and catching them (no, there were 3 other guys besides me and more coming on monday night) and it was intense. Cheer leaders are no wimps. You have to be built!!!! So its fun and I'm going to do it. Idk how the fam is going to take it though. I'm not into the alternate lifestyle thing, this is just some random fun college thing to do.

Q said...

Wow, Somnite. Is it weird that I respect you for trying out?

Judi said...

Where's that story we were promised??????
-Judi