Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Um...weirdness?

Let's start at the very beginning. Some time ago - July, maybe - I had a dream that a friend of mine died in an accident, and I didn't find out until a couple days later. I woke up absolutely freaking out, hyperventilating, crying (yes, but only for a very short time). It was one of the best feelings in the world to realize "He's not dead."

Take 2: Not long ago, I dreamed I was teaching this same person (who shall remain nameless - I'm learning from my mistakes) to waltz. To Waltz of the Flowers, Tchaikovsky. I can only imagine what a psychologist would do with this. The contrast between these dreams is so absurd I'm still laughing about it.

And now, a friend of this Nameless Person (I'm fond of caps in a weird way), has said (actually, IMed on Facebook), and I quote "lol does someone have a crush on [favourite name of your choice] lol".

What is this??? This is the second person I"ve been accused of having a crush on. In like, the same day. Clearly there were benefits to homeschooling. I never had this problem before. It shows me, though, that I must be a red-blooded female, because the whole face-getting-hot thing? Yeah. For the past sixteen years and eleven months of my live, I thought I was immune.

Ha. Apparently I have no power over that reaction. Look, I like both guys, yes. But in a platonic way. (I really like that word, platonic).

I'm sorry if this seemed disjointed and rambling. It's late. I should go to bed. But I'm afraid I'm going to stare at the (mostly) dark ceiling, thinking about this...

Sometimes I swear Facebook is evil. And the friend of this Person is the last person I ever expected to make me twitchy like that. It's even worse than the first accusation (made by two roommates, whom I love), because this Person is...how do I say this? In the vernacular, hot. (I'm sorry, yes, I'm going with SAT vocabulary here. It happens when I get flustered). He's both a football runningback and high school tutor. (I confess my skepticism and snobbery in believing the dumb football player stereotype and am now humble and glad there is an exception.) And we (some days I really hate that pronoun) both tutored at a high school, where freshman and sophomore girls all but glued themselves to him. I feel kind of bad now, because I talked to him quite a bit the first few weeks but not so much later on for fear of being mistaken as having a 'crush' on him. Since then I've had a couple personal epiphanies and realized I was being stupid.

So that is my sad, sad (in the sense of ridiculously pathetic) story. This is not a big deal, really. People are still without power from Ike. But ohhh, if there's something that gets under my skin it's being mistaken as a love-struck, crush-having boy-crazy - okay, no one has accused me of that last one.

It's the small things, right?

11 comments:

Gretchen Alice said...

Trust me, boys never get less confusing. Sad, but true.
P.S. Dig the new layout!

Lady Brainsample said...

I know!!! Being homeschooled is awesome in that respect...though I still get it somewhat from girls in my youth group. "OH you'd make such a cute couple!" is NOT my cup of tea...And then the accusation of liking someone, not liking them, and still having face-get-hot thing is SO ANNOYING.

Q said...

High melodrama.

*intense music plays*

Edge said...

Gretchen: I was afraid of that. Glad you like the layout! Converse is one of those old-school things I love.

Lady B: Yes! Someone understands!!

Q: intense music...are you sure you aren't hearing a fire alarm due to the heat coming off my face?

Traci said...

so true, so true. I've been having some similar problems as well. I just started my second year in a school setting after being home schooled from K-9. I absolutely love my friends but multiple times from multiple people i have gotten, "do you like him?" or those knowing glances. :) I just stopped talking to some of the guys, but that didn't go over well either..

Judi said...

Ohhh....weirdness is not only the perfect title for this post but the perfect word to describe those animals who call themselves boys. (apologies to anyone who is a boy and reads this.)
I've been asked that question about a guy who gets on my nerves..a guy I don't know that well..and a guy who's just...weird..and no matter how untrue it is, my face gets red and it's awful...I feel your pain, Edge...I really do. :)
-Judi

Paris said...

Well, well, I don't really have any guy friends besides my friend's younger brothers, but I have been through the whole "crazy middle love drama". I am now homeschooled! High school's next year, but I take it that it doesn't get better!

Rebecca Joy said...

I empathize. My face gets all red all the time. And sometimes at the most random times. It's so (stress the so) embarrassing. And annoying. And when my face gets red, it gets really red. And then I get even redder because of my embarrassment of...turning red...of embarrassment... And then it just gets even worse.

And boys just...baffle me.

Edge said...

Judi: Personally, I think that's a little harsh, though at least the guys I've been accused of having crushes on are both nice.

Paris: From what I've heard, not really. It's just something people do, teasing each other about that stuff. I'm still trying to discern the sociology behind it :p

Rebecca Joy: EXACTLY!! And then everyone thinks you're blushing because they called you on something, when really you're blushing at the idea that you'd have a crush on so-and-so. It's a vicious cycle.

Q said...

No, the fire alarm was drowned out by the intense music.

Moore said...

Sounds like you are lovestruck. Hahaha!