Sunday, September 21, 2008

I AM ALIVE!!!

I know, some of you were starting to wonder about that (whether I was still conscious, breathing, etc.). Eight days. That's how long I was without power and internet. (I think I may hate candlelight for a long time). Yeah. I was really, really bored. The funny thing is, I slept through the worst night of the storm. Don't ask how that worked. Maybe excess tryptophan in the turkey? Who knows. I was proud of myself - I stopped swatting dead light switches after the first 24 hours.

I am so, so grateful for electric lights. And gas stoves (which work through hurricanes, BTW). And refrigerators. And internet. And car-chargers for cell phones and laptops, even if the cell phone coverage stinks.

So now I'm back at my dorm. Which, um, doesn't have full electricity. It's running on generators, and has no AC. Yeah. I'm not sure this was the best decision of my life, but it was that or wake up at 5 am and drive down here for practice. Thanks so much for prayers of safety - we had one huge limb come down in our yard, but miraculously it didn't hit the house at all, and the cars are fine.

So here's the next call for prayer - electricity for my dorm, which conveniently enough, is the only dorm building without full power/AC/water. Oh yeah, did I mention no water? I worry about myself sometimes.

10 comments:

PTC said...

My bro just got his power back yesterday.

Judi said...

YAY!!!!! YOU'RE ALIVE!!! YOU'RE OKAY!!!!! I WAS SO WORRID ABOUT YOU!!!!
I'll be praying for you.
-Judi

Jamin said...

I was starting to think you just liked keeping people in suspence.

Glad to hear you're safe.

Holly said...

Wow, that is a loong time without power! It's good to hear you're all right, and I hope conditions improve in your dorm soon!

Q said...

Oh, my gosh. I was SO scared for you. Last night I was praying SO hard that you'd be able to talk again, just so I'd know you weren't dead. Can you try to, you know, avoid hurricanes next time? ;)

Traci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Traci said...

I'm so glad your alive! :)
Hope you can get some electricity in ya dorm..

Edge said...

PTC: Yeah, and they're saying some people in the Houston area won't get power until NEXT week...

Judi: Thanks! I'm glad I'm okay too :-)

Jamin: Nah, I'm not that cruel :p

Cuileann: Power has come back on, but the stupid AC isn't working...

Q: Thank you SO MUCH! I think it's so cool how Christ interconnects a lot of us bloggers. And believe me, next time a bad hurricane rolls in, I'm hightailing it to Austin.

Traci: Yes, I am very glad to be alive too :-)

Paris said...

Three of my little sisters are reading "Little House in the Big Woods" and Lily was, like, "People used to live like that?" No electricity, running water, computers, and all that other stuff I love.

Rose Marchen said...

Glad you are ok!