Friday, August 1, 2008

Ahhh! And Other Random Things

So. I went up to a tiny town north of Amarillo on Monday morning and got back on Wednesday. Now it appears I will turn around and go back (but driving this time) tomorrow or Sunday to help paint my grandmother's house. This is an 8 or 9 hour drive. My crazy life. At least it'll keep me from being deadly bored.

As promised, the scoop on the story below: This is (sadly) based heavily on real life. The dialogue is not exact, and some of the names have been changed. Last week I went to a Christian worldview camp. Part of it entailed reading Plato's Phaedrus and discussing it in small groups. I enjoyed it most of the time - all logical thinking and discussing with other smart people. However, we did this for at least two hours a day, most days three, but with a couple breaks. The last day we discussed issues for three hours straight. This was after a 2 am bedtime the night (morning, I guess) before. That's the fourth or fifth time I've stayed up past midnight. And I did it playing HORSE on a pool table. (SO much fun, and we really did rename the game PLATO).

The main difference: we were exhausted. Both mentors left the room for a couple minutes. Bethany (real name) suggested the minute they step in, we begin discussing Hungry Hippos, just as an example of our exhaustion and how silly it is to overanalyze things, as some people did.

The sneaking out to buy a frappuccino is also, sadly, true. Don't tell on me! I have to get an appalling amount of sleep to be fully functional - eight hours minimum. The most I got on a given night was seven, and that was the best night. But seeing WALLE for the second time was worth it. Is it not Pixar's crowning gem? I believe it is the best ever, and the song in the credits ('Down to Earth') is great.

Speaking of movies...I haven't heard a lot of buzz about The Dark Knight in the blogger community. I think this may be due to the fact that it's not a 'girl' movie, stereotypically, and percentage-wise, a lot of bloggers are girls. If you are a writer, see it. Christopher Nolan (director) does a fabulous job of keeping the suspense high. The twists and character developments are the best I've seen in an action/adventure movie. Bruce Wayne drives this awesome thing called a Batmobile, but I have to prefer the Lamborghini (the sound makes me dreamy).

And the Joker. Oh my. Heath Ledger WILL get an Oscar nomination at the least. He deserves the award. There are times when I read a sentence in a book, or hear someone sing, or see someone act, and know instinctively, he's good. I mean incredible. Ledger = The Joker. It wasn't that he acted the part; he was the Joker. That moment of clarity came several times in the movie, one being when The Joker, wearing a nurse's outfit, red wig, and full ghastly makeup, limps out of a deserted hospital which is gushing smoke. He's grinning (no, really, not just from scars), wearing a skirt, and looks completely natural doing it.

I'd call that good. From an artistic standpoint alone, it is a tragedy he's dead so young.

My personal theory is that Heath Ledger was already having some personal issues, and playing that role sent him over the edge. Don't get me wrong, he is (to borrow Ron Weasley's favorite phrase), bloody brilliant. All I've heard is that he threw himself into becoming the Joker. I think if you pretend to be something long enough and hard enough, you can wind up being it. Just my thoughts.

Warning: It is dark. Like midnight out-in-the-country-cloud-night-dark. Human-heart dark. But so, so good. There aren't any supernaturally freaky parts as in Batman Begins (not how I want to describe it, but you know what I mean? Nothing demonic?) There is some blood and violence (although much much less than there might have been, kudos to the Nolans). The darkness is all psychological. The movie does an amazing job at showing how people will respond when pushed to their barest nature: some have anchoring in their lives and make the right choices. Others (if you've seen the movie you know who I'm referring to) go off the deep end. It also makes you think about how you'd respond, and what right and wrong really mean.

Anyway. I'll work up another short at some point. I've been turning over The Dark Knight in my mind since opening day and had to get those thoughts out.

11 comments:

Paris said...

I haven't seen Wall-e yet, but I want to. You're right about The Dark Knight not being a "girl movie" :D

Traci said...

I haven't seen The Dark Knight yet, but I'm going to so very soon...

I do agree with you that Heath Ledger probably did have some problems before the role, but I'm not sure if the role "put him over the edge" as some people say. When you are acting you can get really involved in your character, but you are always aware of yourself. So, with that said, his character is truly creepy and he was taking anti-depression pills because of it.. so I guess we will never really know what happened.

Just my two bits.. :)

Q said...

I loved Wall-E. I don't know how they manage to make a dirty, rusty, square robot totally adorable, but they DO.

I don't think I'm going to see The Dark Knight. Please don't kill me, but even just a few of Joker's lines in the commercials drove me absolutely crazy. I don't know what it is--something about his voice or the way he says the lines--it almost physically hurt me how much it bothered me. I don't think I could stand a whole movie.

Araken said...

Hello, commissioner, why so serious? Ugh! That guy creeps me out like I dunno what! But actually DK is doing exceptionally well, and will most likely break Titanic's record!

Deb said...

I want to see The Dark Night but I haven't yet. I've heard Ledger was incredible in that role.

Debbie

Judi said...

I want to see The Dark Knight, but other things have kept me from it. :-<
I really liked the movie Batman Forever with Val Kilmer as Batman and Jim Carrey as the Joker. Could be because I'm a die hard fan of Jim Carrey. :)
-Judi

Jamin said...

I've heard that DK is close to passing up Titanic for the most money earned in America.

Sounds like you went to World View Academy! Now that's a meat grinder.

Edge said...

Wow, lots of comments *grins*.

Paris: Yeah, I know, but I like the untypical :-). Wall-E is amazing. See it.

Traci: Thanks for the input! I'm theorizing as a non-actor, so I appreciate comments from someone who knows.

Q: I know! Wall-E is SO adorable. Wait. *gasps* you're not going to see DK? *reaches through cyberspace to shake...* Just kidding. Each to his own. Wall-E is universal appeal; Dark Knight sure isn't. I completely understand.

Araken: Yes, he is THE creep of creeps, but in a fascinating way. I hope DK gets the record, just because I'm prejudiced against straight romance.

Debbie: Ledger is amazing.

Judi: See it. Jim Carrey? Sorry, not a fan.

Jamin: It was actually Wheatstone Academy. It's the first year they've held one in Texas. Check out their website - it was a great experience.

Grace K. said...

Hey, Edge! Sorry, I haven't gotten back. My computer has been kidnapped. By my brother. And is in the hands of "computer-fixing people" who appearently do that as a living. Grr.

LOVE your short story!!!! Ahha, very funny. I can only wish that would happen to me in real life. :)

As to the DK and the Joker: No it is not a girl's movie. It is not a boy's movie either. It transends gender, because it is AWESOME! :D I loved, loved, LOVED Heath in it. but it was hard to watch him play such a demonic role, knowing he was dead.

I also agree with you, that it contribuated to his death. He and Michelle (his girlfriend, fiancee and the mother of his child) had slip up, he was seperated from his daughter Matilda , and on top of all of this, he was playing the Joker.

There are some goodlooking 'villians' who can make one wish that they might be kidnapped by them, such as Severus Snape (not really a villian... Harry thinks otherwise, though. ;)) As I watched Heath onscreen, I knew, if a female character was captured by accident/defult, the Joker would torture and kill her without a drop of mercy.

Heath HAS to get a Acadmey nomination at LEAST. And he had better win! Forest Witiker (sp) won Best Actor for Last King of Scotland. I've seen clips, and Heath's performance is just as, if not more powerful and frightening.

So yeah. The Dark Knight rocks. We'll miss you Heath, not only as a actor, but as a beautiful and artistic soul.

Edge - I plan on posting about DK soon. So you won't be the only girl. I just need my computer back first. :(

Love,
Grace

P.S. Thanks for the advice!

Grace K. said...

I want to see Wall-e really bad!!

Sapphira Adi said...

I've wanted to see Wall-e ^_^ Yay! Randomness :P