Sunday, August 31, 2008

I think I'm going to give up now. On being the queen of smooth, poise, etc. It's not that I ever was; perhaps I harbored the idea that going to college would enact an immediate change in my personality.

Hah (or as one of my suitemates likes to write, ‘hahahahahaha’). I have stuck my foot in my mouth more times than I care to think about in the last few days. And believe me, with Houston weather, my shoes are nasty.

The story: Until this past week, only one, maybe two people who know me have read this blog. I'm still mostly anonymous to most of my readers (although I might get to meet Raewyn soon...). One of my suitemates started reading last week. She laughs a lot when reading. (Let this serve as a hint I'm glad I'm worth at least a good laugh.

You know that last entry about the unexpected teammate? Well, while we were talking a few days ago, I foolishly mentioned I had a blog, and even more foolishly forgot the URL was on my facebook page.

An except of 'Aaron's' comment: "Charafictiphobia- The fear of becoming the inspiration for a fictional character created by a writer."

Yeah. The flavor of the day is Brooks GTS Adrenaline, model 7, color blue, size 8.5. The dirt from this morning's run is particularly crunchy. And I detect more vegetable nutrients in the grass shards from the soccer fields than I usually eat in a week. So those fire alarms you heard this morning? That was the heat rising from my ever-reddening face. (Such a character marker! Except I don't remember having quite this reaction before. Maybe being a secluded homeschooler wasn’t so bad after all. JK.)

The last two days had been good, maybe not what I'd call 'average' days, but nothing particularly bizarre/irritating/embarrassing (*clears throat, addressing ‘Aaron’* And meeting you again falls into the category of straight unbelievable). I thought the bulk of the weirdness/jaw-drop factors had passed. And therein lies my fatal mistake: I let myself get lulled into boredom. Now I shake my head at my naivety. I should have known.

A friend gave me this piece of advice before I started school: Don't get cocky.

I don't think I ever was cocky, but I am now definitely humbled. There is no possibility of me pulling any high-hat look-down-the-nose stunts now (I certainly hope and don't think I would have done that a couple weeks ago, but still). All I can do is laugh at myself now. I am past hope of being idolized as the flawless queen of cool.

________________________

I sigh, shaking my head dolefully at the computer screen. I hoped it would not come to this. But it is time. I crack my knuckles (not really) and pull up Internet Explorer. Soon enough I am slipping through the dark corners of the Web, searching for the software I need most urgently. I pass over several items as inferior. It is time for a new level of subterfuge, deeper cover of my identity. "Ah, yes," I murmur. I find my prey, a cute little program disguised as a package of Twinkies on eBay.

I know what lurks behind the innocent picture of cake tubes stuffed with white goop. Anyone who gave it a few moments thought would know as well. Twinkies have undergone the most rigorous scientific testing (i.e. being baked for hours, being dropped off a building, being submerged in water for 24 hours, etc) without suffering severe structural damage. They're nearly indestructible (not to mention indigestible). No one in their right mind would buy these from a grocery store (goes to show we have some serious problems in America), much less from eBay for twice the going rate.

I place my order, rubbing my hands together (yeah, so you all know I'm not doing that either. Just play along?). Once I hack into 'Aaron Nessick's' facebook account (shh!) and get his IP address, I will program it into this software. The instant he tries accessing my blog, the software will send the electronic equivalent of a Twinkie to his computer.

A sappy Hallmark e-card embedded with a virus.

Think about it! It looks okay from the outside, rather common, but sweet. Once it's opened - destruction! (Alright, I admit, you won't die from biting into a Twinkie. I think).

So, Aaron, you've been warned. Beware Hallmark cards.

____________________________

The rest of the day has been painfully placid. Before I would yawn. Now I am wary, checking my surroundings, waiting for the next embarrassing incident surely lurking in the shadows.

I wonder what Crocs taste like.

13 comments:

Judi said...

LOL!!
Oh wow, poor you. And I thought I had said some really stupid things. :D JK...Sounds like your college would be extrememly fun to attend. :D
-Judi

Q said...

Oh, my gosh. He FOUND your BLOG? Poor thing. I think I'd die. Really. Unless I just read that wrong, as I am apt to do.

I'm so sorry. Yikes.

Somnite said...

*WAVES*

Hi Aaron!

Erin said...

Wow. That's pretty much all I can see.

(Besides, ooooh, you have a facebook? can you friend me? or not since you don't know me? either way, here's my profile: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=519429128)

Edge said...

Judi: Yeah yeah :-) Hey, check the school out. It's a cool place.

Q: You didn't read it wrong. At least I talked with him later, and he thought it was kind of cool that someone wrote about him :-) But yes, I felt so mortified.

Somnite: You're funny.

Miss Erin: I'm facebook friends with Gretch-a-Sketch, whom I don't know (personally) either, but I think I'm safe being facebook friends with you - I've only read your blog for going on three years now, and I don't think it's some sort of a complicated ruse to lure in unsuspecting bloggers :-)

Judi said...

Oh, I definitely will check it out, if you're still going to be there in 2010, the place will never be boring. :D
-Judi

Edge said...

Yes, I'll still be here. I'm class of 2012.

Judi said...

YAY!! It looks like I'll be going to college out of state. :D
-Judi

Q said...

Wait--where do you go to school? Is that too personal?

(I've met Gretchen and she's AWESOME. She's also real. I promise. Because you have very reason to believe my word (eyeroll).)

Edge said...

Judi: Coolio. Let me know when you're coming to visit the campus. I'll finagle my way into being your tour guide :-)

Q: Houston Baptist University - and I'm facebook friends w/Gretchen, so I believe you that she's real. And I'd have to leave you with the explanation I gave Erin: If this is some bizarre ruse to suck me into something, it's a little too thorough :-)

Judi said...

Maybe I can visit next year, right before my senior year...I'll have to get a job before then, though. :D
What are you majoring in???
-Judi
PS: I look forward to that tour. :D

Q said...

If it's thorough, that means it's WORKING. ;-)

Grace K. said...

Oh my gosh...lol...I have to keep reminding myself that I've told people I know, about my blog, so I can't really post about them. ;)

*cries* *really hard* We just got back today...and we spent the night in Houston. *throws a shoe at her wall* My mom and I WERE planning to go to a bookstore, and (hopefully!) the Galleria, but my dad was in a hurry to get back to town, to his store.

We left Houston at six in the morning... :( I really wanted to meet you! And this would have been the perfect chance!

I feel so cool being mentioned in one of your posts, haha. :D

Anyhoo, we're back and safe and our house wasn't touched at all. Your prayers worked! The hurricane hooked north...thank you! *hugs her*

Aw, you have a pretty name. Well, I'm Grace. :)

JUDI, WE CAN CHECK IT OUT TOGETHER!!!! :)

*scratchs head* Hm, there was something else I wanted to say, but what was it? Oh, yes. Your school sounds cool, but I'm Catholic, so I probably wouldn't end up going... ;)

Ever heard of A&M University? It's in College Station. My mom and dad met there and my dad was in the Air Force and worked there, so I kind of grew up on campus. I love it so much, especially as it's my hometown, so it's definetely a option for me. :) Go Aggies! Whoo!