Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hmm

Not sure what to write about. I need to write something, though. A short break from Plato (and if Socrates was as annoying in history as he appears in The Republic, it's no wonder they wanted to kill him). I need to read the rest of the book before Tuesday, read Aeschylus' Eumenides and something by Aristotle by next Thursday, finish a PowerPoint presentation before Tuesday (ick), figure out what Shakespeare play I'm going to pick for my next paper (suggestions? sadly it can't be something we've read in the class :-(, and...I know there's something else.

Gah. So much to do! Next semester I'm going to try to not have three reading-intensive classes, because it's so time-consuming. I know I'll have two at least, with the Honors classes. So my goal for today is to finish the PowerPoint, read through book 5 of the Republic, and look over a couple review sheets.

Then I can write! I'm really looking forward to that. Someday I'll post about the library here. The emphasis obviously is on non-fiction books, though I did find Tangerine by Paul Bloor (good, good book, read it), The House of the Scorpion (won some big award, forgot what, haven't read), The Wednesday Wars (never before checked out of the library), and HP 7 (which I haven't read before either and am almost done with, yes, I checked it out last night, and stayed up...a little later than I planned reading).

Anyway. I was the first person to check out three of those books, and it made me kind of happy to watch the librarian stamp the unblemished cards at the top left corner. And the smell...

okay, enough of that, I have to study. Or read. I haven't decided yet.

7 comments:

Judi said...

What?? You're just now reading HP7...*thud*...that's just a disgrace..

That is a lot of work to do..i'm so glad i have you..now i know what NOT to do when picking courses in college. :)
-Judi

Q said...

House of the Scorpion won the Newbery Honor, I think, along with quite a few others.

Rebecca Joy said...

I read Scorpion a while ago - I sort of forgot the details. But I think I liked it. :)

Holly said...

:(and if Socrates was as annoying in history as he appears in The Republic, it's no wonder they wanted to kill him):
I haven't had to read it yet, but lol!

Eumenides, eh? Well, that one was better than the first two in the Oresteia...or at least not as insane and dark, haha.

Lady Brainsample said...

Hmmm....have you read Macbeth already? I read that one for a scene I did in acting class. (being Lady Macbeth rocked, tee hee...)

Edge said...

Judi: Yeah, yeah. Don't go with two honors courses and Shakespeare.

Q: Right. I feel as though I should go edit my post and insert that. I'm not sure how I would feel as an author if I came across someone saying 'such and such book won some big award, forgot what'. The Newbery's pretty big :p

Rebecca Joy: Good! I'll probably post what I think about all these books once I've read them.

Cuileann: Good to know! We're just reading Eumenides, not the others.

Lady B: Yes, I've read Macbeth - it was the first Shakespeare play I read, actually. I'm considering that one.

Heather Hoyt said...

Blast. My comment was deleted.

I'll summarize:

I like Socrates and Plato. Easy reading, very enjoyable. In comparison with other philosophy.

Socrates is best when talking to Thrasymachus, in book one. Love that part.

And Socrates in the Republic is a Platonic invention, not how he was, I think.

I know too much about philosophy. But I like it.