Friday, October 10, 2008

The Realm of Fiction, and Its Forbidding Doors

Read this first.

(Isn't it amazing that even on a bad day Q can write something so good?)

This is an inevitable part of writing. All writers know that. Or if they don't, clearly they have been given the golden key to the gates of the realm of fiction. Writer's block - I might start calling it writer's lock-out - is something that drives me beserk. I've been suffering it since school started...such a long time.

Maybe it was burnout. With two weeks before I moved out, I realized once I got to school the odds of me finishing my current project anytime soon were slim. So in the last two weeks of summer, I charged through to the end of the book. It was a great feeling, no writer's block.

And then it hit. Seven weeks of painful nothingness in the mind, except for phantoms of ideas too insubstantial to hold.

There's a glimmer of hope, though: one of the phantoms is solidifying a little. As much work as Shakespeare class is, I now have inspiration. From which play? Romeo and Juliet. Not at all what I expected. For years I've hated that play. I came to terms with it last week: every problem I have with it deals with the time span. They fall in love overnight? They get married the next day? They kill themselves a day later? Uh-uh.

But then I grudgingly admit that spreading these events over a long time period wouldn't work for a play. Shakespeare had to condense. So when I read R&J, I just imagine there are tidy gaps of time between acts. If I think of it that way, I quite enjoy it.

So yes, my idea, flickering at the edges of my mind, is somewhat based on Romeo and Juliet. But modern. And with a somewhat happier ending. (Not a Disney ending, mind you, not at all. I may not be friends with Will, but c'mon - a happy ending in something based on one of his tragedies? It's an insult.)

I just realized something. The three projects I've finished have something in common. Or the process leading to them did: I wrote rough outlines for all three. Unfinished projects, I didn't.

Yes! Perhaps this is a breakthrough. I must go now - and finish my pesky paper on The Merchant of Venice so I can try to outline this idea...I hope it will not fail me.

9 comments:

Lady Brainsample said...

I've had the same problems with R&J. That and the fact that almost EVERYONE dies.
Hope your paper writing/outlining go well!

Q said...

You're sweet, even when you're wrong. Is it weird that I think that if we lived in the same city, we could be best friends? You seem to get my humor better than almost anyone I've ever met, and we seem very similar... What do you think?

Good luck with your writer's block. Know that I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that sounds good. I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress. :)

Edge said...

Lady B: Yeah, Shakespeare must not have liked his characters too much, because he likes decimating them. Like in Hamlet. Who's left at the end - Horatio, a foreign prince, and some servants?

Q: How am I wrong? I hope it wasn't about you writing something so good on a bad day - that was one of my favorite posts of yours. I think we would be very, very good friends. I have trouble with people understanding my sense of humor sometimes - either they don't get it, or worse, when I'm sarcastic, think they've somehow accidentally offended me.

RJ: Thanks! I'm looking forward to making progress. Once I finish (or at least, make headway) on my (irritating) Shakespeare paper, I plan to outline and assign names to characters (lots of Italian/Hispanic names - so much fun!) I'll definitely keep everyone updated.

Q said...

I sometimes get that reaction, too. And then sometimes I offend people when I don't mean to, when I'm trying to tease them in a friendly way. Do you get that, too?

Edge said...

Q: Yes! And it's so annoying because the last thing I want to do is actually offend anyone.

Q said...

I only tease people I like. The people I don't like I just ignore.

Judi said...

What? I LIKE Romeo and Juliet..I think it's a sweet story..i'm not sure if i'd exactly kill myself for a boy...but, i mean..she was obviously in love..i think it's good...but, Julius Ceaser is my favorite so far...
-Judi

Edge said...

Judi: Like I said, if I imagine there are nice chunks of time between scenes, and they fall in love over a longer period of time, I enjoy it. Juliet has some great lines.