Tuesday, October 14, 2008

*screams*

I am officially nervous.

Why?

My Shakespeare paper is due today. I've finished it, proofread it three times, checked for MLA format, and had two other people proofread it. I'm still nervous. Getting caught up in the grade is about the last thing I want to do, but I really, really want an A on this. It took a long time. It's 2100 words (about 8 pages, double-spaced). And darn it, I know the material, I could compare The Merchant of Venice and The Jew of Malta (Christopher Marlowe) in my sleep now, so give me the freaking A!

Sorry, just had to get that out. I'd consider posting it, but I'm not sure how many people actually want to read all eight pages. Nine if you count Works Cited.

And the other *scream* is for my cell phone, currently locked in my coach's office. I was bright enough to leave it in her office. When I went back after class (for which the teacher didn't show, so twenty minutes later we left), there was a notice on her door stating she'd be out of the office for most of the day. Fortunately, I know her phone number (or at least I'm pretty sure of it). Unfortunately, I'm trying to find a phone to call her with. *sighs*

Clouds are mounting in the sky, and as I walked back from class, I saw a beautiful bolt of lightning. It makes me think of this passage from The Aeneid:

"As thunder
at times will split the sky and a trail of fire goes
rippling through the clouds, flashing, blinding light-"

Lovely, isn't it? I've enjoyed The Aeneid more than The Iliad, partly because it's half the length, and because Virgil wrote in Latin meter, not Greek. In The Iliad, there are a lot of double modifiers - the great blue sky, the black swirling death - you know, a bunch of adjectives. No-nos for modern English writers. So that drove me nuts. Virgil isn't prone to that.

I picked up a lovely little volume of Robert Tristam Coffin poetry a couple weeks ago at the library. It hadn't been checked out since February 24, 1984. It's a shame, too, because it's beautiful poetry - the images are amazing, but it's not super-cryptic stuff. I'll post a poem next time, perhaps...

9 comments:

Holly said...

Sounds like you've put a lot of yourself into that paper and you should be proud! I hope you do get that A! And your phone back.

That's vair interesting about the double modifiers; I do remember that now that you mention. Haven't read the Aeneid yet, though...I do want to, and I think I even own it.

Anonymous said...

I am always really, really nervous to turn papers in. The more I work on it, the more nervous I get.

Paris said...

Good luck!

Judi said...

Man...i hope you get an A...boy..my parents would not be happy with me if i forgot my cellphone...*shudder*
I love poetry...you'll have to post something..
-Judi

Somnite said...

I was like that with my first paper due, and it was only three pages long! I have to turn in working bib for my first 8-10 pager tomorrow, along with a thesis. Eek!

I'm sure you'll do great on this. Most people don't work that hard in college, I'm finding out. When you work like you do, you'll stand out and be rewarded.

Q said...

Your essay will be great, just watch. Good luck getting your cell phone back.

Lady Brainsample said...

Wow, I hope you get the A. Best of luck at getting your phone back. And I like Robert Tristam Coffin from what I've read of him.

Edge said...

Cuileann: Definitely read The Aeneid. The Robert Fagles-translated version is particularly nice.

Heather: Same here. It's the curse of being an over-thinking writer.

Paris: Thanks!

Judi: Yeah, I got it back a few hours later though (phew!)

Somnite: I'm getting the same impression, even from some Honors College people (who aren't total slouches, but I disagree with the general attitude unless the professor's demand is totally impossible)

Q: I really, really hope so. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Lady B: Yes! Coffin (for having such a cool last name :p) is a great writer.

Gretchen Alice said...

I love that you can reference The Aeneid. Good luck with everything else!