Friday, May 16, 2008

First Sentences

Taking inspiration from yet another amazing blogger, Miss Erin, I am posting three opening sentences. The catch: These are the hooks of my novels.

1. War Games. Not your typical summer camp.

2. No one ever accused Lex Holmes of being normal. Still, almost getting mashed by a flat-faced Metro Bus in front of the U.S. Courthouse wasn't the birthday present she'd ask for.

3. The wind buffets my helmet, the bike hums under me, and I am speed.

EDIT: I totally forgot the next one *my bad*.

4. Edward Taravella loathed hostages.

So...do they catch your attention?

9 comments:

Erin said...

I like the 2nd one best!

Q said...

I like the second one best too.

Judi said...

The fourth one's my favorite.
-Judi

Araken said...

Number 4, definitely!

Jamin said...

The fourth one sounds great!

Sookie said...

I definitely love #3, it's got action and it's in present tense: *me loves*

I also love the "loathes hostages" one.

Gretchen Alice said...

I already want to read #2! Writing good first lines is something that I could work on, definitely.

Edge said...

Erin and Q: Good. This is an ongoing project.

Judi, Araken, Jamin, Sookie: Excellent! This is also an ongoing project, but it has a bit more steam behind it than the first ongoing project.

Gretchen: Yeah, first lines are tough. #1 is the first line of my recently completed book...and obviously, I need something a bit zippier to draw in agents :-p

Ian said...

Write interesting first lines. Got it. Keep practising hooks. Got it.

Good hooks, btw. I shall expect the agents to be very very tough on me. :)

Welcome to YCF!

:)IAn(: