Sunday, May 4, 2008

Wow and My VERY FIRST Meme

Yesterday was the most beautiful wedding I've ever seen. The groom I've known for nine years, and is more an uncle to me than five of my six blood-related uncles. Usually he's a fairly quiet guy, but I swear, he smiled for ten minutes straight during the ceremony. I don't think I've ever cried at a wedding before, and of course, I didn't have a handkerchief. The thought did come that I had some tissues in my bag, but as they were green and covered with monkeys, I decided to use my fingers. *cheers for waterproof mascara*

The wedding was at night, and I am am now sleep-deprived but happy. This may also have to do with the gluten-free, dairy-free cookies I made yesterday. They are surprisingly tasty, although my sister made 'real' oatmeal chocolate-chip cookies yesterday, which smell better. Oh well. At the wedding I broke my diet briefly with a miniature spinach-cheese pastry.

I am now aware to the dangers of cheese. It was the best cheese-related pastry I have eaten in my life.

Now, the wonderful Q has tagged me, so my very first meme is!

The Rules:
1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3.Find the fifth sentence.
4.Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people and post a comment to the person who tagged you once you've posted your three sentences.

"Once a work has been cited in full, subsequent references to it should be made in shortened form. These forms are full discussed and illustrated in 8.86-96. With some exceptions, such as references to legal, classical, and biblical works and to certain classes of public documents (see chapter 12), information in notes citing a published work for the first time is given in the sequence indicated in 8.24-25."

From A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations. By: Kate Turabian.

Sorry, it was the closest book.

I tag: Debbie, Jamin, Miss Erin, Anilee, and Gretchen! Go and do, and sorry if you've been double-tagged.

Hold on, don't go yet. Around weddings, I usually think of romance and dating. So, I have what may be a controversial question: What are your opinions on dating? How old one should be? Rules? etcetera, etcetera? Please comment - I'm interested to hear what you think.

6 comments:

Erin said...

In my community/church we don't often do dating, instead we do 'courtship'. Basically a guy asks a father if he can court his daughter, and if the dad says yes then the two of them sort of 'date' for awhile, but only in social settings, etc. (they are rarely alone...) umm and if all goes well they get engaged. :) But sometimes it doesn't and they stop courting of course. Anyway that doesn't explain it very well, I suppose. But I like the system better than dating. I won't court until I feel I'm ready to be married...so that'll be a few years yet. ;)


Ooh...I'm actually not just gluten-free, right now I'm grain-free too. (No corn, rice, etc.) So my mom uses almond flower a lot with our baked goods, and let me tell you it makes the yummiest stuff ever! Cookies, muffins...mmm. If you ever feel like experimenting with almond flower, email me and I'll give you some recipes.

Erin said...

(wanted to add that I think the main difference between courtship and dating is there is more commitment. It's not 'just for fun', it's because they are seriously interested in a relationship, possibly for life.)

Edge said...

This is essentially how I think I'm going to do it - Mom and Dad's approval coming first, of course. Oh yeah, and I am definitely e-mailing you about almond flower! I have almond flower crackers, and they're SO GOOD.

Oh yeah, and I"m with you: It'll definitely be a few years until I'm ready to date/court.

Edge said...

Oh my goodness. I meant almond 'flour'. I can't believe I wrote that. Homynym mixup!

Q said...

I remember my first meme...

I think that courtship is a good idea for older people who are interested in getting married, but I think that dating is necessary for a sort of "practice" courtship. It doesn't have to mean anything, just two friends who want to get to know each other and have fun. I think the "courtship" label puts too much pressure on the success or failure. I think the just-for-fun at first is a good idea.

I also think that asking paternal permission is a good idea.

Erin said...

But wouldn't that complicate things between friends? It seems easier to get to know guys when you're hanging out with them in groups of friends. *shrug* just my opinion...