Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Well, I made it back with a sore throat and stuffed nose, but I'll live. I've certainly been sicker. So, we went to Austin for the weekend, and a few extraordinary/interesting things happened.

1. My sister medaled in her state track race.

2. We went to the church we used to attend and saw a lot of people I hoped to see - not to mention one friend who's in the Dominican Republic for a year but happened to be back that weekend also.

3. I wanted to shop for possibly the third time ever.

4. I found some super deals at Express.

5. I couldn't resist the lure of another store: BookPeople. I bought Airman and The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson 4).

I know. I could have waited for paperbacks, or to pick them up at the library (read: a very long time). But the hardbacks are so elegant and beautiful and smooth. Besides, I was out of new books.

I LOVE Airman. It starts a bit slowly, and reads almost a little like a classic, but not nearly as thick. There are some definite similarities to The Count of Monte Cristo, but Airman certainly has a unique plot. Once I got into it - which didn't take long - I chewed through it in one day on the drive home. I highly recommend picking it up, especially if you're a fan of TCMC. It's darker than the Artemis Fowl books (also great reads), but excellent. Come on, how many YA books use SAT vocab words like 'inveterate'?

Percy Jackson: Rick Riordan continues to be a genius. The way he modernizes these myths is amazing. Besides, the little hints of romance always help.

6 comments:

Gretchen Alice said...

I love Eoin Colfer's writing, so I'm definitely going to look into Airman.

Somnite said...

*jumping up and down*

What is the purpose of being a librarian if you can' break the rules every now and then? I got PJ 4 last night (I was the second hold and not supposed to get it for another 3 weeks, but we had 2 copies and I was processing them) I finished it in all of 3 hours!!!! IT IS SO GREAT!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT FOR BOOK 5!!!!!

Q said...

I love CoMC, and Airman did have that same feel. Happier ending, though.

Deb said...

I hope you feel better soon! :)

Debbie

Edge said...

Gretchen: It's amazing. You won't regret it.

Somnite: your library is obviously more progressive than mine - The Titan's Curse (book 3) is on the 'new arrival' shelf.

Q: Yes, definitely a happier ending. Only one person dies, versus one suicide and one guy going insane.

Debbie: Thanks!! Me too.

Judi said...

I put Percy Jackson book 4 on my birthday list....mom won't let me buy anything until after my birthday, in case she bought it for me...reading these posts makes me wish i'd never put it on there. :D