Thursday, May 29, 2008

Shorty

I typically disdain writing short stories, which means I should practice more often. So I found a prompt, and here the results are.


I smile dreamily as I hear the vehicle at the stoplight. The sun gleams on burnt orange paint. The motor rumbles like a machinated feline, low, deep, waiting for its signal to pounce.

The light turns green. The Aston Martin sees the stretch of an empty block, and the lion roars.

A tingle of sheer joy shoots down my spine.

Darren’s head shoots up so hard his cap nearly topples backwards.

I push my arm in front of him. “No way, dude. This is mine.” He got the Camaro yesterday.

The Aston noses up to the curb. The driver steps out, impeccable in a Brooks Brother suit. He’s young, obviously loaded, and has the sterling looks of his vehicle. He glances at Darren. Then me, an eyebrow half-lifted.

I know. He’s never seen a female valet.

He tosses the keys to me, jerking his chin at the car. “Take good care of it.”

Translation: I’ll have your job with a snap of my fingers if you so much as scratch the paint.

I smile, savoring the feel of keys in my grip. “Trust me, it’s safe with me.” I step in, fire the engine, and the cat purrs.

Prompt 163

5 comments:

Q said...

Very much like you, O Blog Template of a Mustang. I never knew valets were joyriders.

Patrice said...

yeah, Repicheep was great :)

Alma Baltimore said...

Heya, sorry it took me so long to comment ya back! Thanks so much for checking out my blog...if you're interested, we can link to each other's blogs. More traffic for the both of us! :P Anyway, I will definitely be reading your blog in the future. Thanks!

Desert Marine said...

Hey Edge, I like that short story... it's like "A Day In The Life Of..." Good stuff!

Also, I browsed through your blog to find your first lines, and I like all of them. The first one is good, but I think that it could be better... try to combine the two sentences into one. Something like: "Most people don't consider War Games an appropriate summer vacation. I do." Or something to that effect.

Edge said...

Q: joyriders? Nah, but I have seen valets fidget and get ready to pounce at each other when a Lamborghini drove up.

Storycraft: Definitely let's link!

DM: Glad you liked it! I guess you could tell I liked cars, with the template and all. Thanks for the suggestion - I'm still toying around with the first sentence.