Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Movies and other Random Things

Something momentous has occurred: I've seen two movies in theaters within two weeks (rare), and both of them were excellent *jaw hits floor*. The first was Iron Man. I was a bit worried it would be a too-common action flick - studly action hero, beautiful girlfriend, flat characters, adrenaline, and lots of explosions.

Yes, there were a few spectacular explosions, and people did die. However, *thanks producer*, the gory factor was close to nonexistent. I don't want to say I'm okay with people dying, but if it's in a movie, and I'm not seeing blood and guts... you get the drift. I'd never seen Robert Downey Jr. in anything, and he did an amazing job. For those of you out there who are actors, study this. He made it so real.

I also liked the cars - some futuristic Audi speedsmobile that screamed down the road, a hot rod, flame-orange Lamborghini. So, if you like action/adventure at all, I'd recommend it. Even if you don't usually, it isn't a usual action flick. There's character development, which as a writer, I appreciated.

The second movie: Prince Caspian, what else? Excepting from the toddler who babbled and shrieked at random intervals (it's basically a war movie, why is a small child in here?), I enjoyed it more than the first Narnia film. Ben Barnes is amazing as Caspian. I was afraid from the previews that his accent would be overblown, but it totally fit the character. Definitely, the movie was more intense than the first. It pushes PG, but as with Iron Man, clean violence. (That sounds weird).

I know this has become a point of contestation with diehard Narnia fans - the Susan/Caspian thing. If you haven't seen the movie, don't highlight the text below.

I'm inclined to disagree with the decision to have the faux-romance thing between Susan and Caspian. Even a compromise would be alright: they look at each other, and even the whole part with the horn ("You might need to call me again") is not that bad. It's the kiss at the end. Come ON! That is so not in the book. I'd settle for a good-bye hug (which does happen, but after a brief kiss). Your opinions?

*clears throat*. Anyway. That's just my opinion.

9 comments:

Sapphira Adi said...

I have yet to see Prince Caspian! How dare you tell me they kiss. That's so not in the book anyway! They do whatever they have to do to get the movie to be seen, I guess. My friend saw the movie and when we were on the phone all she talked about was how she thought Caspian was cute. lol!

Sapphira

Zoe said...

Even though I haven't seen the movie I still read that last part! lol! I had already heard about most of what you said from other people anyway. Stinks that they didn't stick to the book better!

I hope to see it in the next couple of days!

And by the way, welcome to YCF!

Edge said...

Well, Sapphira, you didn't have to read the pale blue part (but I would have too)

Thanks, Zoe! Even though they didn't stick as closely to the book as in the first movie, I still really enjoyed it. Definitely see it!

Q said...

I really want to see Prince Caspian, for all that the Susan/Caspian romance is far-fetched (REALLY far-fetched. They aren't even from the same WORLD, for goodness' sake.)

Paris said...

I really don't mind that they like each other (i haven't seen the movie), but i don't like it that they kiss. I mean, Susan knew she would never come back to Narnia, so why kiss some guy she'd never see again?

Judi said...

She kissed him because she liked him...I don't read the books, or watch the movies, but my little sis does and from what I hear (believe me, it's a lot.), she liked him...not that i would ever kiss a guy if I wasn't ever going to see him again...but it's fiction.
None of you on here probably read it, but i read the first book of Harry Potter, then watched the first movie. Some of the things that were in the book were not in the movie, and I was glad for that.
I think that a little differing from books isn't all that bad...I guess it's all how you look at it.
-Judi

Jamin said...

If you can't stand the Susan/Caspian plot than I don't suggest seeing Dawn Treader. They'll use that thread of plot to motivate Caspian to sail across the world to try and find Susan's world. That's my prediction.

I think a lot of die-hard fans don't realize that movies aren't visual books. It's a whole new medium. If you see the old Narnian movies, you will exactly how many cars passed outside because you'll be so bored.

Edge said...

Jamin: That's hilarious. It was more of a minor irritation - I completely enjoyed the rest of the movie.

Judi: C'mon, c'mon, I've read and watched HP. I didn't expect it to be all the same. I agreed with all the other changes except the kiss

Q: Do see it. It's an amazing movie. As I said, the whole romance thing is minor. I would have even been fine with that if they hadn't kissed.

Judi said...

I didn't realize you read and watched HP...none of my frineds do that....i thought i was just....for lack of a better word, weird.
-Judi