Thursday, January 1, 2009

Daddy's Little Girl

So, last night I felt rather frustrated with my current relationship with my father. Introvert that I am, I process things by writing more often than speaking. A short story didn't work, a poem was close, but not quite, so I settled for something that could be either song lyrics or a poem. I'm settling on song lyrics, and if I read through them, I can hear someone singing them. Oddly, this unknown singer sounds a lot like Taylor Swift, of whose songs I own none, and don't particularly care for. I wrote this to the sounds of cannon and execution squads last night. Alright, fireworks and insanely long strings of firecrackers, and the screams of manic children hopped up on sugar. That has absolutely nothing to do with the song, I just thought I'd share.


Daddy's Little Girl

Can't you see, I'm seventeen,
Still young but so much older than you think
Impossible to tell, which am I gonna be today,
A friend or just a kid again?
One day you say, "Not there, not safe,"
Or "Make sure you're not back too late."
The next I pool my courage and ask,
Expecting disappointment, and then you laugh.
"It's no problem, girl, sure thing,
And when you're headed home just give me a ring."

Dad, someday, you've gotta see
That home's not where I want to be
It's hard, I know, and kind of scary, but to me it's worse to always be wary
To not know what you think of me.
Am I a friend, or am I a child,
You know I won't do something wild
Please, Dad, I know that it hurts,
And I pray this doesn't make it worse
But you know I won't go out and be beguiled.
I love you, and please don't close the door,
but I'm not your little girl anymore.

You let me go, you made this choice,
So please just let me have my own voice.
What you let out, you can't always take back,
So when I ask, please don't attack.
I loved you then, and I love you now,
But you've gotta make up your mind somehow.

Dad, someday, you've gotta see
That home's not where I want to be
It's hard, I know, and kind of scary, but to me it's worse to always be wary
To not know what you think of me.
Am I a friend, or am I a child,
You know I won't do something wild
Please, Dad, I know that it hurts,
And I pray this doesn't make it worse
But you know I won't go out and be beguiled.
I love you, and please don't close the door,
but I'm not your little girl anymore.

I can't be, you've gotta see
This is my chance to really be me
I'm living life, and it is good,
So please just treat me like you should.
I don't know it all, I know that much,
But I can't live with this heavy-handed touch.
Dad, you taught me, raised me,
Love me, praise me, laugh with me,
Run with me, but this ain't maybe
'Cause you've got see that I'm not your little girl anymore.
I'll always be your little girl.
I can't be your girl that way anymore.


Yeah. I only edited it once. So if it's rough, or sentimental, or just comes off as a whining rant, be honest and tell me. Hasta luego.

9 comments:

Q said...

It could come across as sentimental, but mostly I just think it's honest.

Somnite said...

What's wrong with sentimental?

I liked it. Same feelings about my mother sometimes, 'specially when she reads my blog....

Cassandra said...

I'm not much for rhyme, but I liked it, I thought you conveyed the emotions well.

Also, I pretty much adore your blog layout. Converse, ftw.

Edge said...

Q: Thanks. I hoped that was the case.

Somnite: I think it's a universal reaction, especially with parents who homeschooled their kids.

Cassandra: Thanks! The funny thing is, this is possibly the first poem/song I've tried to rhyme. And yes, Converse = amazing.

catfreak70 said...

Awesome poem. It kind of comes off to me as not appreciating your parents as very much. But, that's just me. I saw your comment on judi's blog, and I decided to come over and see yours.
~catfreak

Deb said...

You really shouldn't post these lyrics. They're much too good and likely to be stolen.

Debbie
PS: my word verfication was taterb, lol. Weird.

Lady Brainsample said...

I really liked it, and I have to agree with Somnite: what's wrong with sentimental? ;)

Edge said...

Catfreak70: I get where you're coming from.

Deb: Haha, thanks. And that is funny about the captcha (technical name for word verifications, I think I picked that up in Time).

Lady B: I suppose my personal connotation of the word leans toward soppy. It all depends on the definition, I guess! In a more dictionary sense of the word, I wouldn't say anything's wrong with sentimental.

Holly said...

*echoes Cassandra*